Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums HOUSE RABBIT Q & A In Need Of Some Good Vibes

This topic contains 112sd replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  PZF 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 113 total)
  • Author

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

ohhhh okay got it. Poor Gimly has such a long thread and trying to keep up with it. Maybe it was the critical care that was causing him to eat less? I know when I’ve had Bombur on it he wasn’t a big fan for his pellets or greens much.

MrGimly
    Participant

as we know bunnies are creatures of habit. he doesnt eat much from the time we get up in the morning until he would start eating his hay around 4-5pm(when hes feeling good), because he naps all day during that time. then hes up for chow anyime from then until dinner time which is roughly 10 pm. so if they gave him a bunch of critical care in the afternoon, yeah, he probaly wasnt too hungry. he seemed excited for his pellets after he woke up a bit this morning. i will say he took his meds like a champ. they flavored his baytril apple banana for him.

Q8bunny
    Participant

yum ?

MrGimly
    Participant

not too much to update but when i got home yesterday his food was gone. so that was good. still not interested in hay unless i hand feed it to him, so i gave him about 1 tbsp of mixed critical care to help supplement again. i also discovered i can give him his baytril and panacur from the syringe without picking him up. he just noshes it up as i dispense it. less stressful for both of us. Got up this morning and he was awake and his food was gone except for some greens scraps, and he was very pleased for breakfast pellets, which we were almost gone when i left for work. i keep telling myself todays the day he perks up a little.

That’s wonderful! And less stress is always a huge bonus for any rabbit, even more so for a recovering rabbit.

LittlePuffyTail

I’ve given Baytril lots and never had a problem. My vet usually advises I give Benebac at the same time to help protect the gut flora.

MrGimly
    Participant

Looks like i need to call the vet about the baytril. hes only been on it since Tuesday, but tuesday night he left pellets and then ate them in the morning, wednesday was good, and now last night he left pellets again and he had two big messy poop blobs this morning that had regular poops stuck on it. but he then finished off the rest of his food as well. he either needs the benebac or to go off it all together. hoping he poops during the day while we are at work otherwise i’ll have to take him to the vet. i have been giving him a bit of CC in the evenings as well, but that has just been making his regular poops a bit bigger. he has zero interest in hay right now so maybe thats contributing as well.

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

Poor Gimly. Whenever Bombur’s been on benebac and antibiotics together they he’s never ha any issues. Maybe he just has an issue with the baytril and they could try another antibiotic? Like how some humans have sensitivities to certain drugs, I’d assume bunnies are probably the same way.

MrGimly
    Participant

im waiting for a call back right now. i will ask about benebac. otherwise i will see if we can switch the anitbiotic. the one thing thing thats been constant in this has been his appetite, and now its been changed since he started baytril. hes still eating, its just much slower now.

MrGimly
    Participant

also we started the 3rd week of panacur the 11th and still havent seen any improvement yet(outside of that first week). im really starting to lose hope here.

LittlePuffyTail

Don’t lose hope. He’s come this far. ((((((Gimly))))))

MrGimly
    Participant

Its really hard sometimes. We have to call the vet today because i suspect he somehow chipped a front tooth on the outside. i was able to see and feel it. poor guy just cant catch a break. luckily it hasnt affected his eating too much i dont think, but it needs to be looked at and addressed.

Eating, drinking and pooping are the holy grail of rabbit life. As long as he keeps it up he’s strong enough to fight back

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

Poor little man. It’s a good sign though that he’s doing everything Ellie said! It means he certainly has the drive to keep going.

MrGimly
    Participant

I just want to say i appreciate all the kind words and advice. Things just dont seem to be looking good for him. we are basically done with 3 weeks of panacur and have seen no results outside of that first week. he is still eating and going to the bathroom. Hes eating has seemed to slow down but im not sure if its due to this condition or perhaps his mouth is sore. but i have been feeding some additional critical care because he wont really eat hay. he did eat some so long as i sat there and fed it to him. But hes still not moving around, still moving his head to the left, and sometimes after i get him to hop he will look tired and flop over for a bit. i think hes slowly losing more energy. Its been a struggle for us all. I will see what our vet says when we go see her tonight. Im worried that they will have to put him under to fix that tooth, and then they can can just check his molars too. im worried that he wont have the strength to wake back up. Im not ready to say goodbye to him. i’ll never be ready to say goodbye to him. He was my first bunny. my heart bunny. im absolutely heartbroken seeing him this way.

LittlePuffyTail

I’m so sorry….Hoping you have some more time with him.I know very well what you are feeling. I was in a similar situation with a couple of my bunnies. You are never really ready, it’s true. But you also love him enough to know when it’s time to let him go.

MrGimly
    Participant

Well the vet said he’s definitely losing some muscle weight, but it could be his old age as well so she wants to stabilize that. He’s got bad cataracts now and I don’t think he can see anymore. The tooth we thought broke was one of those 2nd ancillary insisors in front but she said it’s slightly dislocated but not rubbing anything. He got a 72 hour pain injection, we are going to give him metacam daily, and he’s on a med for dizziness now. We were also advised to push the critical care to keep his gut hydrated. I think we will have a better idea in the next few days of how things are going. In the meantime just going to enjoy my time with him.

MrGimly
    Participant

Let the adventure begin. They want us to supplement his diet with about 40cc of critical care daily, in addition to his normal food to get his gut more hydrated. in the past when ive given him critical care he would eat it up as i gave it. now of course he wont swallow it down until i set him down and hops a little bit. ugh. i did make it a bit more watery so maybe thats why. i’ll try it a bit thicker and see. he ate his pellets and most of his greens overnight so hes still eating on his own even though i gave him 20cc before that. he didnt poop as much overnight as he usually does but the poops were much bigger than they have been. is it possible he could just be absorbing more nutrients if he was dehydrated? otherwise if he doesnt poop much before i get home i’ll have to call the vets office. i know i shouldnt force food in if its not coming out.

LittlePuffyTail

Hmmm…not really sure about the poop question. If he’s eating his greens try feeding them wet so he can get some extra hydration in that way. I feel ya, I thoroughly despise giving CC to an unwilling bunny. So difficult and messy.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but have you discussed with your vet about giving Sub Q fluids at home? I had to do that with Bindi, daily, for the last 3 years due to a tongue injury that left him unable to drink well. I also did it in the pass for bunnies who were in stasis. It’s not too hard, if you are okay with needles. My husband had the vet demonstrate once and then we were able to do it at home, no problem. Can really help give an unwell, dehydrated bunny a boost sometimes. 

MrGimly
    Participant

Yeah we always wet his greens down because hes never been a huge water drinker. the vet said he didnt look outwardly dehydrated, but his poops were a little smaller than they should be and a bit harder. thats why they wanted to go with the CC i suppose, and he because during all this hes been less interested in hay. also to supplement calories with his weight loss. They want to see if this helps at all during the week. they mentioned to me making it watery for extra fluid, but hes never taken water from a syringe and thinner medications. the thicker the CC and meds and he usually noshes it right from the syringe.

MrGimly
    Participant

Gimly is still pretty low energy tonight but I got him to take all his meds and critical care without having to pick him up! ? I will take that as a small win. He’s also pooping more tonight and peed a bunch all over the blanket, so I don’t need to worry about his bathroom usesge overnight/while at work. Hopefully he will keep taking his cc easy like this

Hehehe, I think he can be naughty as much as he pleases now, and you’ll still be happy ^_^ Glad to hear that feeding is less stressful nowadays.

MrGimly
    Participant

hes always been able to be as naughty as he wants anyways I got him to take the cc right from the syringe again this morning and then he pooped a bunch haha. im still very sad, and have been crying on and off. Just want him to be as comfy as possible and know how much his bunny parents love him right now

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

I think just probably his age plus the disease combined is making him less active, and he might not ever get back to being super active. It’s good he eats and poops and drinks. Those are all signs of a relatively healthy bunny, despite the EC. I think as long as he’s doing all that, can get excited for treats, and still wants love and attention, and can be naughty, then he’s probably not in as much pain as you think. I’ve been through the tears with Bombur enough, but at the end of the day I always smiling knowing that whenever he goes, I know I’ve done my best to give him the best life possible and make him as comfortable and loved as I can

MrGimly
    Participant

All he wants right now are food and petting. but hes been slowing down a bit on how eager he is to eat. maybe thats because we are giving him all the critical care too. He basically refuses to eat hay, so i know his molars are going to be bad soon. im worried about him being put under to fix that. hes been slowly losing more energy and just seems weaker to me. we are on a clock. his weight. hes still losing weight. and if we cant stabilize it with all these extra calories there wont be much more we can do for him.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.