Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums HOUSE RABBIT Q & A In Need Of Some Good Vibes

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Q8bunny
    Participant

((((((Gimli))))))

MrGimly
    Participant

I’m heartbroken by this whole ordeal for him. He actually came out and explored a bit yesterday morning after I posted. His hunger for food is still there too. We will see what bunny doctor wants to do next. He’s not even 2 weeks into his meds either.

LittlePuffyTail

Sorry to hear this. ((((((((Gimly)))))))

Poor lad All my best wishes for you!

MrGimly
    Participant

thanks for the well wishes. Gimly seemed pretty ok last night. got a papaya treat and some dill that he crushed. he also seemed a bit more interested in his hay at times again. this morning my wife got up at 530 and could hear him munching away in his hay pile in his expen. she gave him a few pets and then he went right back to eating. when i got up he was still having a little bit more hay and got excited for breakfast pellet time. he also pooped a bunch more over night than the past few nights, and there was no extra cecotropes either. Im hoping when i get home he will have come out on his own again. He goes back to to the vet tomorrow for observation and his 2 week bloodwork. i might ask if we can bump his dose of panacur up from the 0.3ml since he seemed to respond well that first week, and not so much the 2nd week. if his bloodwork is ok that is. i know it can be a slow process with the meds, so im trying to maintain as best as i can. i think this next week will tell us alot if he will ever respond to treatment, as it iwill be the 3rd week of medicine.

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

Give it a bit longer honestly. The first time Bombur was on Oxibendazole we had to do back to back courses of the meds. So for two months straight. EC really is such an up and down illness with some bunnies and several rounds may be required. Unfortunately it’s not like antibiotics where it takes two weeks worth and they’re better in 3 days.

MrGimly
    Participant

i didnt know that. i will mention that to my vet when the first month is done. i wonder if it would be worth mentioning the medicine that you give Bombur, as it differs from what Gimly is getting. of course this is all contingent on if his bloodwork is ok, and if he is gaining back/maintaining any weight. did you see any improvement that first time you gave the meds for 8 weeks? or did it literally take to the end to see anything? im thinking it was a good sign with gimly that he showed an initial burst atleast, so i hope that means the panacur did something.

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

He showed a good amount with the first course we gave him. So he had stopped dribbling all over the place and stopped sitting in his pee. With the second course he was back to his usual litter habits and back to getting in and out of the cage on his own without help within the first or second week. He goes in and out though with his and we were back on it in another 3-4 months for more back to back rounds. So like I said, I think with some bunnies more than others it can be a bit of a roller coaster. He still has terrible vision as a result of the EC and he can sometimes still pee out of the box, so he’ll probably be on and off the meds the rest of his life. He’s almost 2, but I think when they are active it’s such a good thing and we just want to see them have so much more. I understand your frustration and I’m 100% here for you <3

MrGimly
    Participant

thanks. he showed such a good sign that first 5 days it was tough to see him fall back. but he still seems pretty alert most of the time and the chewing issue has not come back. i thought he was going to start getting more active but now hes back to sleeping a lot. atleast now he actually loafs and doesnt do the standing up sleeping. so he is still a bit better than before we started. wish he would eat more hay though. he normal hay hunger came back right away and has scaled back a bit as he was less active. thats been a bit of struggle. his peeing has gotten a little more normal, but he wont go in his litter box since we began the new setup, and im sure that has to do some muscle weakness. honestly at this point i will be happy if he can get along alright, go to his hay and expen on his own, and resume normal bathroom habits. i dont care if i never see him binky again or come on the couch. as long as hes not in any pain or distress.

MrGimly
    Participant

Gimly is at the vet today for his bloodwork, and we will pick up more panacur. im going to mention to them that the last batch didnt seem mixed very well compared to the first batch. the first batch, while thick, had a smooth consistency. the second batch even after shaking it had this weird thick lump in it that would come to the top and i had a harder time getting in the syringe. maybe a coincidence but when he started the second batch of medicine thats when he started coming back down.

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

oof I agree it doesn’t sound like it was mixed properly. Hopefully his bloodwork comes back normal so you can keep at treatment!

MrGimly
    Participant

yeah i wish i would have realized that when i first used it, so thats my fault. Im not sure if we will get his bloodwork results back today. depends on what time they can draw it, and then it gets sent to a local lab which is actually pretty fast turnaround time. Mondays and Tuesdays are busiest at out vets office as thats when most surgical appointments are. thats why we had to board him today because they were not sure they could do it after we get out of work. normally we could just pop in for a quick 15 to do it. But i am going to check the panacur this time.

MrGimly
    Participant

It just sucks because he was making clear gains that first week, and then low and behold he starts slowly regressing with that second week. Now we are basically back at square one. So im mildly hopeful if its made right this time he will make some initial progress for us again.

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

I definitely think so, especially if you saw progress the first time there’s no reason it wouldn’t be this time,

MrGimly
    Participant

thats what im hoping for!

MrGimly
    Participant

so i just got off the phone with the vet. his blood work came back and hes not anemic, so we can continue the panacur. they are going to give us 2 weeks worth this time. his white count was down a little so she thinks he may have a bit of an infection too, so we are also going to give him baytril along with it. his weight is stable. i mentioned about his last batch not looking like it was mixed right and she was going to talk to the person who made it up last time and then this time, but ill check it anyways. so hopefully this will help him out. poor little guy.

Glad to hear that his weight is stable, he’ll be more robust for the rest of the treatment. We’re rooting for you little trooper!

MrGimly
    Participant

Just got home with bunny son. The vet tech said he was a little firecracker today lol. They gave him some critical care to help with his lack of hay and he pooped a bunch. Of course I let him out of the carrier and he hops off around the Christmas tree and into the bathroom and then out behind the couch. Must be that bunny vet adrenaline ?. But still nice to see. His panacur looks much more mixed up and he gets apple banana baytril for 14 days. They said he’s not in any pain or distress, so he’s a little fighter. Like a prized fighter going 15 rounds he won’t quit. And neither will I.

LittlePuffyTail

Good attitude! Bunnies can be really tough and tenacious!

MrGimly
    Participant

Is there anything i need to worry about with the baytril? i have to give it every 12 hours, so he gets it at like 630 am and 630 pm. Vet told us to try and give it with food, so i gave him a few greens and oats before i gave it to him last night. then he gets his panacur at 8pm. he gets a later nightime dinner with his full salad and pellets after that. when i got up i noticed he ate the majority of his greens but not pellets. he woke up and just about finished what was left of them and ate a few greens scraps before he got sleepy. i gave him his morning baytril dose so he ate before, and we gave him some additional pellets. i know it can cause upset tummy, but would he just stop eating? he did spend the day at the vet, have blood drawn, given a bunch of critical care, and was off his nap schedule yesterday. But hes uaually always chow enthusiastic.

MrGimly
    Participant

*UPDATE*
    My wife just texted me that hes crushing his breakfast pellets now! i wonder if his eating schedule got a bit off since they gave him critical care at a time he wouldnt normally be eating.

Bunny House
    Participant

I never had any issues with it. Is he on pre or probiotics? Since it is an antibiotic( also named enrofloxacin) it could cause a gut flora shift with it.
    Being at the vet could have definitely stressed him to where he wouldn’t want to be his normal self. If he is still not back to his “normal self”( before starting it) I would call the vet and see if you can do something like metaclopromide or some other antibiotic that might not make him feel so bad.

MrGimly
    Participant

Thanks. His eating just seemed a bit off schedule, but like i said, he did get down to eating this morning. i will see if there is anything left when i get home. if not i will chalk it up to bad day and off schedule. He was taking green snacks and a treat after he got home last night, so he is interested in food. He just seemed extra tired last night. He was on a round of sulfatrim about 6 weeks ago and had no side effects, so i cant imagine this upsetting his tummy too much.

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

I’m confused on the baytril. One of the side effects to drugs like Panacur is low white blood cells. Which at that point my vet has just paused treatment for about a month until his white blood cells have returned to normal counts.

MrGimly
    Participant

He had a complete blood work up done november 1st and he had a low white count then. so before he even started panacur. Thats when we gave him sulfatrim because the vet suspected a slight infection. His count came back roughly the same yesterday as it was then, so she suggested the baytril and we are going with it for now. But if he keeps having some appetite issues with it i will have him go off of it.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.