Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums HOUSE RABBIT Q & A In Need Of Some Good Vibes

This topic contains 112sd replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  PZF 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 113 total)
  • Author

JackRabbit
    Participant

{{{{{Gimly}}}}}

borya
    Participant

i wish the best for your rabbit, Gimly. I hope he begins to feel better soon

meridiian
    Participant

Major hugs and well-wishes to (((Gimly))) !

Let us know how he is going.

xx

LittlePuffyTail

Glad to hear the good update. (((((Gimly)))))

Great to hear that he’s doing better, keep at it Gimly ^_^

MrGimly
    Participant

we were gone most of the day yesterday, but my wife told me he milled around his expen again yesterday morning, and he sat with one of his feet slighty stuck out to the side. he hadnt been doing that for a long time either. he ate some more hay too. we had a holiday party and when we got home he looked very pleased to see us and even explored around a little bit again. he even stood up on his back legs a little bit to investigate me! hes been hopping off to his hay pile on his own again to which is nice. we have still been giving him some morning breakfast pellets while he recovers and he was very pleased. we are about a week in now, and hoping he keeps regaining some energy.

Q8bunny
    Participant

Binkies!

MrGimly
    Participant

Gimly wasnt as active last night for us, which is ok. hes still interested in his bunny hay and chewing great all week so thats a big win. He was pleased for pets and a treat too. He looked a bit more sleepy but not as disoriented sitting with his eyes closed. still pretty alert and happy. He was active friday, but not much saturday, and active sunday, and not much monday. so maybe he will be active tonight. Im sure he doesnt have much energy yet, and we just completed the first week of Panacur. So just three more to go and two blood work ups for the guy. Hoping to see some more improvement this week now or after. i know people have said you dont usually see improvement until 2-3 weeks in, so this bump this week was really nice to see.

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

I’ve been loving the updates on Gimly Me and my boys are keeping our fingers crossed for continued recovery!

Q8bunny
    Participant

He might just be husbunning his strength

MrGimly
    Participant

Thanks! Its really tough to be patient sometimes, but there has been definite improvement. Just the little things like sniffing our hands to see if we have treats, or pooping a lot lol. And loafing when he naps and happy teeth grinding. im sure getting energy and strength back with take the longest, if it even happens.

MrGimly
    Participant

maybe one of you could answer this, because i cant really find any info. Do we need to worry about him shedding the parasite via urine and re-contracting it all while hes on the medication, or right after hes finished(pending it works). Due to his lack of energy and mobility and muscle loss hes has not been able to/wanted to use his new litter box so we have towels down in his expen that if he pees on i have been washing daily every night so they stay clean.

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

A bunny has the illness for life, unfortunately. So, no he won’t reconratact it. Most cases of EC are flare ups that occur very rarely. Most bunnies contract the disease initially through the mom, but remain asymptomatic their whole lives.

MrGimly
    Participant

thanks. i knew they had it for life and it was flare ups, just wasnt sure if it would keep the flare up going or not.

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

It honestly depends on the bunny. Bombur has a chronic version of it, so we need to be on meds every 3-4 months to keep his under control. I know most aren’t like that though.

MrGimly
    Participant

Im sure we will just have to monitor him going forward. Hopefully he can recover fairly well so we would have an idea if it was flaring up ever again. Id still like to know what caused it. Wonder if it started in his kidneys and that was causing his extra build up of sludge, and the fact he had urinated on himself a couple times leading up to whats going on now. thankfully and hopefully it didnt damage his kidneys horribly, as he had full work up done november 1st and his function was perfect. im sure it was a combo of his age and some stress. He doesnt ride in the car very well and in the week leading up to this he had gone to the vet, rode in the car and stayed in a different place(my inlaws, but hes been there many times), and the ride back home. two days later he was acting lethargic.

MrGimly
    Participant

Gimly took a slight step back after a really good week. He ate slightly less hay, but after i refreshed it he got the hunger for it later in the night. He seemed alert and happy but not as active. I was trying to get him to explore around a little and he actually went into our bathroom and came back out. Then he just wanted petting. This morning when i got up he was napping with his face in his hay but got excited when i started petting him. took a bite of hay and some of his dinner green scraps. then he took down his morning pellet snack. hopefully he will come out of his expen today while we are at work. Last night started week 2 of his meds, so i know i just need to be a bit patient. i think his initial burst got me overly excited. hoping some more of his energy starts coming back this week so he can start building up some of the muscle he lost the past 6-7 weeks.

MrGimly
    Participant

Gimly was pretty good last night and this morning. hay hunger is still there, chewing good, seems to have a bit more alertness and energy at times, but still not really wanting to go out and explore on his own yet. i can kind of nudge him along and he seems ok moving around on his own, sometimes he will sniff around and bump things with his bunny nose. Hes still having some urinary issues, but hes gotten better about only doing it in his expen or by his hay pile on his hay mat. Its not incontinence because he postures himself to go, but sometimes its alot. and sometimes its a smaller amount. hes goes back to the vet tuesday for his bloodwork so hopefully his kidney function is still good. and im hoping he put on a little weight or maintained. im most concerned with that. hes lost weight while eating, so its muscle loss. has anyone dealt with that before? Im praying its just a result of the neuro issues caused by EC (if it is EC) and some limb weakness.

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

Bombur gained weight while on treatment, but he also never lost weight. I know some bunnies have lost weight with EC, especially if they have the neuro symptoms.

MrGimly
    Participant

Day 10 of Panacur treatment and gimly seems to have come back down from his high of those first few days. Hes still very enthused for any kind of food or treat(more than he was before the meds started) still eating a good amount of hay, poops have been pretty good, eating more of his cecals, sort of getting back to a normal peeing schedule(used to pee early morning when i got up and overnight mostly, maybe once while up during the day). Not looking as disoriented or having difficulty chewing. Seems pretty excited when he gets dinner at night, circles around in his expen as he chows, seems excited in the am when we get up, explores his expen a bit and waits for extra pellets, but the last couple days i have found him still in there when i get home. Still not being active to much on his own. i can get him to move along if i nudge him a little bit but i dont want to upset him. Still trying to be patient with the EC meds. but honestly its hard. quick question about dosage. hes getting 0.3ml every 24 hours as a 4lb bun. is that enough?

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

Bombur isn’t the most active bunny either. We have to be up and moving around or cleaning or playing a video game for him to willingly be active. He’s a 4.5-5 pound Holland Lop and I believe he was getting .3ml of Oxibendazole a day as well. Maybe .2ml? I’d have to check the bottle when I’m home from work, but it sounds about right.

MrGimly
    Participant

Not that Gimly is the most active bunny considering his age, but he would always actively seek out attention, bump your foot, hop on the couch, climb on me, run around and do binkies a few nights a week, come over to the kitchen and beg if i was in there. thats how i knew something was up weeks ago because it suddenly stopped. Now i have to really be on the floor and engaged with him to move around, or nudge him over to his petting spot and then he will get comfy and loaf and teeth grind for us. he had those few days last week where he explored his pen, the tree, and the kitchen and bathroom all on his own, but now its slowed down again. hes still alert and awake though, which he was not before the meds. baby steps i suppose.

Q8bunny
    Participant

Still hoping that he’s saving his energy for the noms…

Asriel and Bombur
    Participant

I think with EC all you can truly ask for is a slightly active but a happy bunny. ?

I checked Bombur’s bottle of Oxibendazole and it was actually .42ml once a day. So it was a larger dose than what Gimly has. He’s around 4.5 pounds.

MrGimly
    Participant

I’m at a loss. Gimly has slowly regressed now back to little movement on his own and eating less hay. He’s also now when sitting, he keeps slowly moving his head to the left and he just sits there. I’m not sure what else I can do anymore.he goes back to the vet Tuesday, but after that initial burst his essentially how he was pre meds.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.