Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE I miss having a bunny

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • Author
    • Sonn
      Participant
      1810 posts Send Private Message

Moonshine passed a few months ago. Even though I have a ton of pets (2 dogs, 3 cats, a tortoise, a hedgehog, and 3 snakes) I feel that big bunny shaped hole. I know I’m not ready for another bun but OMG do I have bunny fever. Plus my current landlord says she will evict me if she ever finds a rabbit in “her” house. Even though she has not set foot in the house since the day I moved in! I had to pay a TON of money just to get her to agree to my current pets. AND I am planning to move across the country hopefully next year so getting a bunny now would be irresponsible of me. BUT I WANT ONE SO BADLY!

I volunteer 4 days a week at a rabbit rescue that’s an hour from my house. And just seeing them and interacting with them is making my bunny fever so much worse. There is this 10-week old champagne d’argent  girl that was born there and I helped hand raise her because momma rejected her and tried to eat her. She has gotten extremely attached to me and I just have that pull (you know that pull) that she is supposed to be mine kind of pull. The rescue is shocked because she won’t let any other humans near her without biting and growling at them. AND HER NAME IS JOEY! (Does anyone remember my first bun Pacey?) Pacey and Joey from Dawson’s Creek!

And they are bonding her with this adorable “little” velveteen lop. Who admittedly doesn’t like me much unless I have craisins. But hello does anyone remember Monty and the time he literally tore a hole through my arm? I’m sure a few boxing taps from him would not phase me. 

And to top it all off a month ago my oldest dog was given 8 months at the most to live. He’ll be 15 this month.

I’m basically trying to convince myself not to give in.

s’not  fair! 

• Sonn
        Participant

Okay I’m not sure whats up with the <g class="gr_ gr_50 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" id="50" data-gr-id="50">bunny</g> in my post but ooookay.

• MountainBuns
          Participant
          513 posts Send Private Message

Aww, I remember when I first met you, how have you been coping with the loss? I hope all is well!

I feel like it would be best to wait till you move as to not give the bunny any stress. Its up to you though!

• Gordo and Janice
            Participant
            703 posts Send Private Message

It’s sounds like fate is tapping you on the shoulder pretty hard. LOL. What a tough position to be in! I was going to joke with you a little more but the more I think about everything the less I feel like nudging you. Because I so relate. And unlike you I couldn’t be around rabbits. I am too weak. Icey (our rabbit) passed about 5 months ago. I know the first rabbit that I see up for adoption that shows me any signs of personality or affection, Bam! Done. Couldn’t resist. It would be ours. I couldn’t say no. I have a lot of things to consider before our next rabbit (or bonded pair – which is one of the considerations). I want to be very careful, now that I know so much more about rabbits.

But I do miss her/them so. Which is why I hang out around here to get my daily fix. It’s like rabbits are still in my life even though they aren’t for real yet. You are definitely between a rock and a hard place on this one. I would have already lost the battle.

Keep your wits about you. Whatever happens, it was meant to be, right? I’ll be watching for your posts diligently now. You have piqued my interest!

• Sonn
              Participant

I’m coping well with the loss of my bunnies. I wasn’t at first but I’m doing well now.

I know it would be sooo wrong for me to get him or them and then try to move them so far away. I did move one of my past rabbits from KY to CA and back with no ill effects but I also know how fragile rabbits can be with stress.

I’m going to hold out as long as I can and if a family comes that is perfect for them I’m not going to stop them from adopting these two.

• jerseygirl
                22342 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Sonn on 6/04/2018 4:07 PM 

Okay I’m not sure whats up with the <g class="gr_ gr_50 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" id="50" data-gr-id="50">bunny</g> in my post but ooookay.</blockquote><blockquote><br>

Do you mean all the code jibberish?   I think this happens when people have Grammerly on their browser. Looks like you may have figured that out? (You later posts didn’t have the code in it). I edited your first one to remove the code. 

I remember back when you had 11 dogs! So your fur family is much reduced in comparison! But life is probably much more busy if you’re still studying.   Im sorry to hear about your dog. I probably don’t need to say it but spoil him rotten. xx

Joey!  Well Sonn, Im not saying anything…cos Im the worst enabler. lol 

I get bun fever  too. Even with my 5. I didn’t think I would. But then I start thinking Timbu could use a friend even though he’s been single the 7 years of his life so far.  But he just seems more needy.

• MoxieMeadows
                  Participant
                  5375 posts Send Private Message

I am glad you are doing well, and the fact that you are posting more frequently! And YES I remember the thread about Monty biting your arm! I was so shocked that an adorable and innocent creature could create such harm

I am also an awful enabler (I recently went from 0 rabbits to 2 in less than 8 weeks. Although neither were really planned, so I don’t fully accept the blame, haha )

I am also sorry to hear about your dog. ((Hugs))

• JackRabbit
                    Participant
                    5451 posts Send Private Message

I’m not going to be any help here, but go for it!!!! She sounds like she has claimed you as her person!!! Monty was scary demon bun but you were the only one who understood him! I absolutely loved that you loved him! Sonn, you were a wonderful bun parent and you have given buns that were doomed to die or live without human love a wonderful home. I know you’ve experienced more than your share of tragedy with buns but where would Monty have been without you? And baby Gypsy? I still remember you saving her from the rain and her in your shoe! (And me putting her in my pocket and sneaking away! Lol!). I say get that bunny and her new friend!!!!!

• Sonn
                      Participant

Monty was suuuuch a brat! But I loved his mean spirit. Believe me I was SHOCKED when this cute little furball turned into a demon spawn and latched on to my arm and straight up death rolled me like a crocodile!

You guys are no help. Like seriously! LOL.

Oh wow I didn’t realize I had been on here THAT long! Yep went from 11 dogs to just 2.
                        My old man dog is in terrible shape but still got that spark of life in him. I’ve had him for an amazing 15 years and just want a little longer or a whole lot longer.

HER NAME IS JOEY! It’s like fate calling my name!

Aww I remember seeing baby gypsy in that rusted together cage out in the rain! Poor baby. I was so mad!

UGH! Enablers everywhere! EVERYWHERE!

• Daisy
                        Participant
                        199 posts Send Private Message

I know the feel! Whenever I had veggie leftovers I would always think “ugh where is my furry trash can!”

• BunnyLass568
                          Participant
                          445 posts Send Private Message

You probably shouldn’t listen to a stranger like me, let alone a new bunny owner who still has A LOT to learn but if little Joey already claimed you then I doubt they’ll fully accept someone else, maybe tolerate but not fully accept, at least not right off the bat and I can’t help but feel like Moonshine is giving you the OK (I’m sorry if saying that has upset you, it wasn’t intentional I can promise you that) to adopt little Joey. And I’m so sorry about your dog, give ‘im extra pets and kisses from me please! Like I said earlier you probably shouldn’t listen to a bunny newbie stranger but I just felt like I had to comment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

• BunnyLass568
                            Participant

You probably shouldn’t listen to a stranger like me, let alone a new bunny owner who still has A LOT to learn but if little Joey already claimed you then I doubt they’ll fully accept someone else, maybe tolerate but not fully accept, at least not right off the bat and I can’t help but feel like Moonshine is giving you the OK (I’m sorry if saying that has upset you, it wasn’t intentional I can promise you that) to adopt little Joey. And I’m so sorry about your dog, give ‘im extra pets and kisses from me please! Like I said earlier you probably shouldn’t listen to a bunny newbie stranger but I just felt like I had to comment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

• Mimzy
                              Participant
                              599 posts Send Private Message

I know this pain! I lost my last one this past January & I am having bunny fever like crazy! In a way I just want some sort of small animal to care for but it’s definitely more of that bunny shaped hole you’re talking about.

I’m in the same predicament as I’m supposed to be getting married soon & moving a few states away probably in about a year. So I’m stuck feeling like it’s really not a good time, not to mention that my future father-in-law is allergic to rabbits which would mean it may be best that I don’t have a bunny so that there’s no difficulty for when he wants to come over to the house So, I may possibly be looking at never getting to have one again, unless I just beg the heck out of my fiance for us to really try to make it work! We were going to make the exception for my bunny since I absolutely refuse to give away a pet unless I seriously cannot give it a good life any longer, but she passed sooner than expected.

Anyway, I don’t have any advice for you unfortunately But I am right there with you right now! Joey does sort of seem like she’s picked you in a way. Idk…you have to weigh your options & figure out what you can live with! It’s obviously important to avoid stressing a bunny out if possible, but if you did decide to adopt her, just try to make the move as calming as possible. Like if you’re moving by car, I would try getting her used to short car rides first & slowly begin increasing them. There’s some interesting stories of some pretty adventurous pet rabbits out there you know (some aren’t cut out for it of course). Or see if the vet can help with some medication to calm her down for the trip. Anyway, tough decisions! Sorry if I too am an enabler lol. For me, I’m trying really hard to keep saying no & trying not to get an attachment to any of them but I think that’s going to come to an end soon as I’m about to begin fostering an old rabbit who was rescued from a construction site. He’s apparently very calm & sweet, I’m probably in danger of falling in love! lol

• Vienna Blue in France
                                Participant
                                5317 posts Send Private Message

Hey sonn.
                                  You just need to ask yourself the reverse question and you know how you will feel.

If, next week, when you go to your bunny rescue place, they have adopted out Joey and the new one that they want to bond with, how would you feel?

Absolutely completely gutted and depressed for the next year ?
                                  Or
                                  happy that he’s been adopted out ?

There is your answer. Hope I’ve helped. Good luck.

• Sonn
                                  Participant

Your question actually helped!

If she was adopted next week although I would be happy she got a new home I would be soooo sad and kicking myself for not taking the leap.

SO I let them know once she is spayed and once they see whether or not she is going to bond with the other little bunny I will be throwing my hat in to adopt her…

I’ve moved buns across the country before and even if it takes a lot longer to get where I am going that’s fine. I have to stop a bazillion times anyway for my old dog (who knew older dogs needed to pee so much!). My landlord said as long as I make sure she/they don’t rip up any walls she will alter my lease.

So in roughly 1-2 months I may have either a new bun or a bonded pair of buns.

Don’t think I’ve been this nervous since getting my first rabbit!

• Vienna Blue in France
                                    Participant
                                    5317 posts Send Private Message

That’s reeeaaallly exciting Sonn !!!!

Your question actually helped!

Was there any doubt !?????!!!!!! Hahahahahaaaa
                                      It works in most scenarios.

Wayhayyyyyyyyy

• Gordo and Janice
                                      Participant

Hahahaaaaa! I knew it! Didn’t want to put any additional pressure on (because let’s face it, you were getting enough from everyone else, right?) but your first post in this thread had inevitable written all over it. Fate was kind of body slammin’ you more than tapping on your shoulder. You were in denial. “I’m going to hold out as long as I can”, said Sonn on 6/4/18. Lol. You made it two days, which I have to hand it to you, is longer than I would have been able to hold out. Good for you and good for Joey! It is exciting. And yeh, she’s young and you are experienced so I bet the trip is not that big of a deal. Such a cool start to a new relationship. Congratulations!

• MoxieMeadows
                                        Participant

Whooo congrats Sonn! I can’t wait to see pics!

• Sonn
                                          Participant

LOL I stared at that question for over an hour! You got in my head!

I will get a couple of pics of her once she is spayed (rescue policy). But it’ll still be a bit before I can bring her home because they are trying to bond her to the little velveteen boy before and after she is spayed. The little velveteen boy (Sinatra) doesn’t like me much but meh I had a Monty I’m sure I can deal. HA!

• MountainBuns
                                            Participant
                                            513 posts Send Private Message

Congrats Sonn,Its good that you are giving another bun a wonderful life!

• BunnyLass568
                                              Participant

I hope you don’t mind a late congrats on your decision and new family member(s)!♡

• Sonn
                                                Participant

Bit of an update.

They’ve decided not to bond her with the velveteen boy because he has had an instant bond with a flemmie girl. 

I will be picking her up a lot earlier than expected as in this coming Friday! She isn’t spayed yet but I’ve been down that road a couple of times so that’s no big deal. 

Her mom was a seemingly full Champagne D’Argent but they don’t know what dad was so she is either one as well or a mix of one. I’m leaning towards a mix.

I convinced them to send me over a pic of her. Lol someone over there went ham with photoshop on her picture they were going to post up on her adoption page. 

I am both excited and very nervous about having another rabbit.

But here she is Joey:

• Sonn
                                                  Participant

I just noticed she is in almost the same exact pose as the first pic I ever took of Gypsy (first pic in signature)!

• Mimzy
                                                    Participant
                                                    599 posts Send Private Message

Oh how exciting!! SO happy for you, congrats!! She looks so cute, & yes, almost in the same position your little Gypsy is in ^-^

• Gordo and Janice
                                                      Participant

Just absolutely precious. Congratulations again.

• Bladesmith
                                                        Participant
                                                        849 posts Send Private Message

We really are a bunch of enablers, aren’t we? Don’t care, bunnies are worth it and deserve it.

• BunnyLass568
                                                          Participant

She’s so beautiful and adorable! Better keep all the male bunnies away, lol.

• Sonn
                                                            Participant

OMG guys I pick her up in 2 days!!! I remember this feeling. I am so nervous but so excited! I’ve got her cage mostly set up and I’m picking up some things I know she likes to play with tomorrow. A little nervous about my youngest cat meeting her because Little Miss (my cat) gets extremely jealous. I can say they will NEVER be out together because that is one cat I don’t trust at all. My other two cats are basically loafs that look like cats, my oldest cat Popcorn has been around rabbits his entire life. And Tiger is disabled so even if he wanted to chase her he can’t.

She goes in for one last vet visit tomorrow morning and I get her spay appointment set up for one day next month. I’m going to finish up her cage (giant dog crate for now) and prepare myself for bunny poop explosions again. LOL.

I still can’t believe they named her Joey. I wonder if they set me up? I do talk a lot about Pacey. HA!

• Gordo and Janice
                                                              Participant

Lol…yes, it was all a setup and it worked so beautifully. Mission Impossible style. Someone close to you (who shall remain nameless) knew everything actually. They had her name quickly changed to Joey before anyone knew the difference. And another thing….wait, I’ve said enough. Can’t give away the person.

How frickin’ exciting, right!? So happy for the both of you. Memories and poopies commence!

• Daisy
                                                                Participant
                                                                199 posts Send Private Message

It’s hilarious how this topic went from “I miss having a bunny, someone halp 8C” to “here’s my new bunny!” in 2 pages. :’) It’s almost witchcraft, haha!

She’s so cute! She was at the front of the row when the gods were allocating the ears I see (as in, that’s one HUGE pair)!

• Bladesmith
                                                                  Participant
                                                                  849 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Daisy on 6/14/2018 3:58 AM

It’s hilarious how this topic went from “I miss having a bunny, someone halp 8C” to “here’s my new bunny!” in 2 pages. :’) It’s almost witchcraft, haha!

She’s so cute! She was at the front of the row when the gods were allocating the ears I see (as in, that’s one HUGE pair)!

We are the BIGGEST bunch of enablers I have ever seen.  If we were in charge of an AA or NA group, most of the world would be high as a kite.

And I’m as guilty as the rest of you lunatics.

• MoxieMeadows
                                                                    Participant

So cute! Congrats!

Can’t wait to hear more about her

• Sonn
                                                                      Participant

I picked her up this afternoon! She’s settling in. I made a quick thread about her in the welcome section.

• Azerane
                                                                        Moderator
                                                                        4688 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Vienna Blue in France on 6/06/2018 7:36 AM

Hey sonn.
                                                                          You just need to ask yourself the reverse question and you know how you will feel.

If, next week, when you go to your bunny rescue place, they have adopted out Joey and the new one that they want to bond with, how would you feel?

Absolutely completely gutted and depressed for the next year ?
                                                                          Or
                                                                          happy that he’s been adopted out ?

There is your answer. Hope I’ve helped. Good luck.

And that’s how I ended up with a blue Somali girl instead of a tawny Somali boy  After meeting her at the cat show I came home and was so torn. Later that day I saw someone post on facebook that they were interested in her and I immediately contacted the breeder to say I would have her, lol.

Wishing you all the best with Joey and her potential husbun. Very exciting times, and at least you don’t have to worry about your landlord finding out.

Viewing 33 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE I miss having a bunny