Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE How Did You Name Your Bunny?

Viewing 50 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunnyHugger
      Participant
      82 posts Send Private Message

How did you name your bunny?

My rescued Lionhead is named Boryslav, Borys for short. This is Old Slavic for “short, Godlike wolf”, which completely suits his fierce, redheaded, self important little personality.

• Deleted User
        Participant
        22064 posts Send Private Message

I like basic old fashioned classic names. I think Henry was just next on the list that I hadn’t used yet (I used to have puppies and called them names like Rosie, Daisy, etc., and a lot of owners kept their names – so sweet). We named our bunny Henry before he was chosen, and it didn’t matter to us if he was a boy or a girl. We had a boy dog called Molly and our girl dog is called George, ha ha ha!

And I have to be honest – he is a Henry! I can’t imagine him being called anything else. Yep, just a good ol strong classic name!
          I actually don’t know another Henry??? I know the name, but don’t recall it from anywhere/anyone???

Isn’t Prince William and his Mrs Kate considering Henry for a name if they have another son? They already named their first son after my dog – why not name their second son after my bunny??? LOL!

• Avantika
          Participant
          371 posts Send Private Message

My boyfriend Rohit has a list of nicknames for me. Moshai came first, which was followed by Moshuraam and many others. The ‘Moshu’ of Moshuraam sounded very cute and snuggly. Perfect for my bunny. My boyfriend somewhat resembles a bunny too ; with his sightly protruding front teeth and puffy cheeks.

• Diamond
            Participant
            459 posts Send Private Message

Avantika – Aww, that’s cute. My friends know a guy that we think looks kind of like a dwarf rabbit, only not cute.

Anyway, Lily is named after Lily Potter from the Harry Potter series. It was that or Luna, and we decided she looked more like a Lily.

• Little Lion Head
              Participant
              1706 posts Send Private Message

Ah Diamond I’m a HUGE HP fan!! I wish I had thought of some HP names to use!

Pumpkin actually didn’t have a name for a few days. We kind of wanted to feel her out and see what she was like. We considered Fenway (hubby is a huge RedSox fan) or Wally (after the sox mascot), but we decided against it b/c it sounded too boy-ish. Our Boston was girl, but everyone thought she was a boy b/c of her name.

Pumpkin’s name was Penelope–which is a great name, but also my deceased aunt’s name, so that was too weird to keep! The funny thing is; we call Pumpkin “Hank”–b/c her crazy hair makes her look like Beast (the blue guy) from the Xmen series. So we tried to avoid a boy name and call her Hank any way!

AndHenry–i love those classic names for animals. I think George is a fabulous name!

Bunny Hugger-I also love names that mean something. Sounds perfect for Borys!

• MK
                Participant
                751 posts Send Private Message

My bunnies, Coco and Ginger were named after fur color, and I have to say the names also suit their personalities Coco is sweet and easy-going, and Ginger is alert and bratty

• Little Lion Head
                  Participant

MK we were thinking about Butterscotch b/c of color!

• pixmix
                    Participant
                    34 posts Send Private Message

So my friend who owned Anaïs before me named her after a French author that she admires greatly, Anaïs Nin. Anaïs Nin was a quasi-feminist author that explored dynamics of women’s sexuality in her fiction- can’t say my bunny does the same thing.

• BunnyHugger
                      Participant

Pixmix, just repeat to Anais, “I live a lie. I am a lie. I am a spy in the house of love.” See what she does.

My favorite contemporary dance piece is set to Nin’s text.

• BunnyHugger
                        Participant

Interesting that names that while cute, are at best only a few hundred years old, are defined as “classic.”

While the Slavic tongue is several thousand years old, and the area of Boryslav in Western Ukraine has been in existence since the Bronze Age—3200 BC. Which means Borys’ name is over 5000 years old. I believe that’s how one defines “classic.”

• Deleted User
                          Participant

Anything that is older than me is classed as ‘classic’! Lol! And I also refer to the term classic as something being original – for as popular as the name George (for example) is, I’ve yet to meet another girl dog called that, so in my mind, she is a classic! Ha ha ha! I’m not good at History (ooop’s) cause I have no interest in it. But if it came from my grandparents era (where I get most of my names from) and it sounds good but is often unheard of in today’s times – it’s a classic! My male dog is called Frank – again, I know the name, but I’ve yet to actually meet another Frank younger than my grandad was before he passed.
                            Everyone loves Franks name, and after they finish laughing I often get the comment ‘what a classic’!
                            I think it just depends on how you use the term classic – my hubby’s restored Alfa Romeo which is about 40 years old is classed as classic. I personally see it as a waste of space, but – whatever! Ha ha ha…..

• JackRabbit
                            Participant
                            5451 posts Send Private Message

LLH — Speaking of naming bunnies and loving Harry Potter, I occasionally refer to AndHenry as “she who shall not be named” when she digs her heels in on naming a certain bunny . ..

(Still love you AH, even if you are stubborn!!)

• DethronedbyQueenB
                              Participant
                              205 posts Send Private Message

Queen is my first female animal and she rules the roost so “Queen” and Buntilda was me being dorky so Queen Buntilda. But when I talk to her directly I call her Momma.

Dark Mator is the dad bun and he was her black bunny mate so Dark Mator sounded funny like Darth Vader. Queen Buntilda and Dark Mator.

The tan and REW don’t have official names yet but my son calls tan “Slick” because he got stuck in a chew toy tube thing when he was a couple days old so sorta, “Nice going, Slick”. I think the REW I may name, “Mr. Black.” Just cuz.
                                I vote that would be classic.

• Deleted User
                                Participant

That IS classic QueenB! Ha ha ha! (and I LOVE it!).

The only other bunny name that could be any better is ‘Manny’! What a lovely cute bunny name…… (better than Tucker – ha ha ha JR!).

• BumblesBounce
                                  Participant
                                  27 posts Send Private Message

Our big boy’s name is Marshfellow, for which I take no responsibility. We had a nice name or two picked out for him, then my boyfriend just out of the blue got utterly hung up on naming him Marshfellow. Which is apparently the boy version of Marshmallow? I don’t even know. I usually just call him buddy or boy, but when he’s being a particular handful, it’s Dennis Bun, after Dennis the Menace. 

Fluff was “Fluffernutter” at the rescue, and I had every intention of changing that, but Marshfellow Fluff is pretty funny together, so I’m on the fence. I’ve been keeping their pellets in a Marshmallow fluff container, so the novelty may make me keep it. In the mean time, she has so many nicknames, it’s ridiculous. She’s Madam, Miss Fluff, Fluffington, Princess Fluffykins, Fluffypuff, Puff, Puffin.. the list goes on. 

Our beloved Bumble (who was another big white bun) was called Bumble after the Abominable Snowman in Rudolph. “Bumbles bounce!”

• BunnyHugger
                                    Participant

BonLapin, I end up with unintended names for animals all the time. I’ve made lists of all kinds of names from literature, history, etc., then end up naming them: Jake, Peeper, Prince, Red, etc. I fostered a Peach Faced Lovebird for whom I couldn’t think of a better name than Mr. PeachFace.

Half the time I call Boryslav: Mr. Ears, My Cinnamon Bun, or just Bun. Yesterday when he smooshed his face harder into the rug to emphasize his urgent need for grooming, he became SmooshieFace Bun.

• Deleted User
                                      Participant

In our house Henry is mostly know as ‘that DAM bunny’ or ‘your a naughty boy’! Ha ha haha…….
                                        After he was neutered we indulged in calling him Henrietta for a while, LOL!

Edit to ADD – Not sure if you guys will find this funny, but a year later I still find it hilarious – the hubby saw that a segment on a tv show about bunnies was coming up and called me in to watch it. I can’t remember what the article was about, I only remember the bunny’s name – GORDON! How funny/original is that??? Gordon the bunny!

Sorry guys, but I still think that’s the coolest bunny name ever!  Ha ha ha!

Gordon, ha ha ha ha ha ha

• JackRabbit
                                        Participant
                                        5451 posts Send Private Message

My hubby has slipped a few times and called Moshi “son”. That’s when you know your bunnies are truly part of the family!

• Deleted User
                                          Participant

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha JR! Love it!

I can say my hubby has ‘slipped’ too, but he didn’t call him son…..

LOL!

• MoxieMeadows
                                            Participant
                                            5375 posts Send Private Message

AH—LOL

• MoxieMeadows
                                              Participant

I’m not entirely sure if I named Moxie after having moxie, or the soda moxie? She was officially named Cinder for about an hour, but that did not fit. I had also been considering Pepsi and Amaryllis. But in the end she became Moxie. Although that name wasn’t on my list…How does THAT happen? lol

• Deleted User
                                                Participant

Who knows Moxie, but I am so pleased you called her that – I can’t imagine her not being Moxie! Funny how names just ‘fit’!

• Cottontail
                                                  Participant
                                                  1070 posts Send Private Message

Peter was a Peter from the moment we saw him.
                                                    He and his siblings were found in the yard, and we discovered that they had been accidentally evicted by a neighbor landscaping. Unfortunately mommy and his siblings didn’t make it, but Pete was a character from day one. The first time we saw him he was about 10 days old and he came straight up to my father, who bent down and said “Hi, Peter.” Without hesitation, Pete climbed right onto his foot, and then into his hands. He’s been Peter Cottontail ever since.

• MK
                                                    Participant
                                                    751 posts Send Private Message

Cottontail, is peter a pure cottontail? He’s so cute

• Cottontail
                                                      Participant

MK , he is. Unfortunately he’s lacking in instinct, and the rehabbers and vets we’ve been to have agreed he’s a house-baby.

• BunnyHugger
                                                        Participant

Peter is absolutely gorgeous! I’ve always communed with the wild ones. Have you had bunnies before him? Is he much different in personality, as a wildie?

• Little Lion Head
                                                          Participant

JR—“She who must not be named”!!! LOVE IT!

• Boing
                                                            Participant
                                                            253 posts Send Private Message

The humane society named my bunny. They’ve a constant supply of them, and small rabbits/ lops get adopted fast. Larger, more natural looking rabbits get adopted much more slowly. He’d been there three months by the time I adopted him. He seemed to know his name, so I kept it (Cincinnati). He’s large and brown.

• BumblesBounce
                                                              Participant
                                                              27 posts Send Private Message

Mr. Peachface, haha! I love it, Bunnyhugger. Sometimes the impromptu ones that just slip out are the best. Fella got a “Hey! Bratty McFee!” tonight when he was trying to get under the couch. 

AndHenry – I get a kick out of animals with people names– Gordon is great, and of course I LOVE Henry. That is just the sweetest bunny name!

Cottontail – Peter is so cool! What a lucky boy!

• MoxieMeadows
                                                                Participant

I have a couple cool names I can’t wait to use (okay, more than a couple ):
                                                                  Ricochet
                                                                  Boston Belle
                                                                  September
                                                                  Paris
                                                                  Owen
                                                                  Niall
                                                                  Louis (lou-E)

• JPetrucci84
                                                                  Participant
                                                                  256 posts Send Private Message

When my ex and I rescued her, the ex named Cinder and so it was. I figured we’d be a family of four (she purchased one from a local family owned pet shop).

• BrunosMama
                                                                    Participant
                                                                    1485 posts Send Private Message

I’ll just add how we named the most recent three.
                                                                      Potus- stands for, obviouslly, President of the US. We wanted an “elegant and powerful” name. Originally, we called him Mr. President.

Annie (formal, Ansel) I wanted a black and white name and I love Ansel Adams photography, which is in black and. White.

Butternut- BB’s own Bam named Butternut

• LongEaredLions
                                                                      Participant
                                                                      4482 posts Send Private Message

Lionel was named Lionel at the rescue-and honestly, what a great name for a lionhead!
                                                                        Roxi was originally named Sophia at the rescue, but we wanted to give her a new name for a new future (she and her mom were part of a hoarder dump ) We decided on Roxi because it means “Dawn.” So our little princess is Roxanne Sophia.

EDIT TO ADD: I was just reading this thread and laughing. You guys are so funny-and classic!

• BellaKezia
                                                                        Participant
                                                                        25 posts Send Private Message

Our surname is Dodge so we wanted something that would go with that.
                                                                          We started looking at girls names that started with a D when we fist got our eldest but couldn’t think of anything that really suited her, we had her for two days before her name stuck and really suited her and that was Dinky she was a tiny little poof of long black hair and she just seemed to respond to the sound of her name too.
                                                                          Our second rabbit was more difficult we wanted something to go with both dinky and dodge our surname. He’s a grey lionhead with a beautiful and very prominent mane. I was keen on calling him Dylan after the magic roundabout but in the end we settled on Duke, he’s got a little growing into his name to do bless him!

• BB & Tiny
                                                                          Participant
                                                                          637 posts Send Private Message

I named mine Rambo because he chases and bites the cat, or used too. They exist on separate floors of the house now. His name now is BB because he is such a cuddle bum.

• BubbaBunnies
                                                                            Participant
                                                                            57 posts Send Private Message

I named Alfie after Alfalfa from the Little Rascals because he was and still is just that, a little rascal hehe. I named my bun Lily because she was named Lillian at the shelter but my name is Gillian so it was a bit too close for my liking, so i shortened it to Lily and it ended up matching her perfectly, I call her my little Lilypad haha.

• MeketatenBun
                                                                              Participant
                                                                              178 posts Send Private Message

As an archaeology major focusing on Ancient Egypt, I named Meketaten after the second of the princesses of Akhenaten and Nefertiti of the 18th dynasty. Pronounced Mek-et-AH-ten, it means “Behold the Aten” or “Protected by the Aten” which was a sun-disk god during Akhenaten’s monotheism of Egypt. I call her Meki for short because people (vets) see her name and before they even try to pronounce it I just say “it’s Meki”. Other nicknames include Mek-mek. Meketater-tot, tater-tot, or toodle-tot depending on how goofy she’s being, but Meki is the consistent nickname for when I just don’t feel like typing Meketaten.

My first bunny’s name was Nefertari, nicknamed Nefi, after the Great Royal Wife of Ramses II in the 19th dynasty. After she passed away, I wanted to stick with Egypt theme but couldn’t bring myself to name my new bunny after another queen because Nefi will always be my little queen, so a princess was the next best step and believe me, she acts like one. I am one of her royal subjects who feeds her and pets her when she wishes, and I will get digs into my chest if I dare to stop petting her before she is ready for me to be done.

Could’ve been worse, Meki was almost named Ankhesenpaaten until my mom told me literally no one would be able to pronounce that.

• Kyrkogrimr
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                120 posts Send Private Message

I originally wanted to name mine after one of the rabbits in Watership Down – one of my favourite books as a child… which probably explains a lot – but when we saw Puck and fell in love with him and I suggested Inle (because he’s black) I got blank stares all round. I was also told in no uncertain terms that Hyzenthlay was unpronouncable. (If we get a gf for Puck they just might have to learn ) I’m a mythology geek and rabbits are associated with Tricksters, so I suggested Puck; I figured that since we’d already seen that he was a bundle of mischief, the name suited him and wasn’t likely to influence him to be any worse It was unanimously approved, so Puck it is. Also known as Squish, Mr Squish, Pudge (don’t know why, he’s not fat, has never been fat, no clue.) Little Monster/Horror/Devil, Monkey-butt (again, no idea. His butt in no way resembles a monkey) and Munchkin.

Quite abnormally tickled by the name Mr PeachFace XD

• Cottontail
                                                                                  Participant

Sorry for the delay, but non-forum life got a little busy. ^_^
                                                                                    BunnyHugger , I’m not entirely sure Peter is aware that he is a bunny, let alone a wild one. I think he thinks he’s a vegetarian-cat. lol
                                                                                    I have developed a habit of asking Zoey where Peter is when he vanishes, and depending on if any crashes have been heard in the last few minutes or not it usually comes out as either, “Where’s your brother?” or “Where’s the bunny-butt?” Either way she usually will lay an ear back and stare at whichever room he’s run off into. 10/10 times if there’s a crash Peter was involved.

• kirstyol
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                    580 posts Send Private Message

Bramble came into our lives aged just six weeks old so we had no idea if he was a boy or a girl, I didn’t want to not name him till we found out and did consider just calling him bunny until we knew but I really wanted a name so a unisex name had to be found. I am hopeless at giving anything a name, my rabbits so far have been: floppy, loppy and snuggles not very imaginative lol so I wanted something a bit better. I was racking my brain trying to find an interesting, unisex rabbit name when I decided to have a nosey on facebook. One of my friends was out drinking and had posted a picture of her drink called Bramble, I thought what a stupid name for a cocktail, but a brilliant name for a rabbit! I did work in a pub for nine years too so I guess it sort of makes sense naming him after a drink.

• BunnyHugger
                                                                                      Participant

Great names here! Borys just got a new nickname today, after being banned from my BR for spraying the bed (and me) in his enthusiasm to claim my territory. We will try it again, once he has been neutered. It’s too bad. My heart melted when he flopped on the bed beside me. Yes, he really, genuinely loves my bed.

He now digs at the door and carpet, and today he managed to OPEN the bedroom door. I’m telling myself I didn’t latch it properly, but with this determined little man, one never knows…

Borys’ new nickname is Demented Munchkin.

• Whisky The Bun
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                        50 posts Send Private Message

Whisky’s name was originally Tarrah, from her old owners. But since she was only about 5 months old when I got her, I decided to change it. I’d been thinking Whisky for whatever pet I got next for a long time, but then she didn’t seem like a Whisky. We tried all sorts of other things, including Spike, Tallulah, and Lulu, but she didn’t take to any of them. So then I tried Whisky again and the second I said it she started grooming me like crazy, so Whisky it was!

• Jordain
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                          20 posts Send Private Message

Murray’s original name was Big Boy. My boyfriend really likes people names for animals so I knew Big Boy wouldn’t stick for very long. We both love Wes Anderson films and I had a lot of fond memories in the neighborhood Murray Hill from growing up in New York. Put Bill Murray and Murray Hill together and you get one big happy bun named Murray! I love his name it really suits him. He’s just a furry Murray bunny!

• Jo Leigh
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                            57 posts Send Private Message

The moment I saw Merlin, the name Merlin popped into my head, so Merlin it was! His middle name is Ronald (Does anyone else give their bunnies middle names too?!) purely because I love the Harry Potter series. I thought Merlin Ronald sounded cute too. Very old fashioned!

I had a bunch of rabbits about 8 years, when I was 15ish, that had some interesting names. I had a Flemish Giant that I named T-rex, for obvious reasons. His son was called T-rex Jnr (original). I also had a black Netherland Dwarf named Periwinkle. I was in science class with a friend, trying to figure out what to name my new rabbit, when we flipped a page in our textbook and the plant Periwinkle appeared. After that, it stuck! And finally, I had another Flemish Giant that I named Princess Sophia. My favourite movie at the time was ‘How to lose a guy in 10 days’ and if anyone has seen that, then you’ll know what I’m talking about

• BunnyHugger
                                                                                              Participant

I love all your stories about how you named your bunnies. Isn’t it interesting, how sometimes it’s instant and based on appearance, sometimes it has to do with their behavior, and sometimes it’s an intuitive flash.

Now that Boryslav has the run of my home (well supervised, of course), he has a new nickname: The Redheaded Terrorist. Though he is permitted throughout 700 square feet, he is driven to insane behavior by the section I’ve fenced off (my computer/printer/phone cords). He launches himself from the other side of the room and tries to knock down the fence. Terrorist. “Terror” for short.

• Little Lion Head
                                                                                                Participant

Jo Leigh–I love Harry Potter too! I wish I would have thought to come up w/ an HP name! Pumpkin’s past owners named her Penelope, so her full name now is Pumpkin Patch Penelope Princess Sophia!!! That’s awesome!

BunnyHugger it sounds like Borys is really happy and determined!

• BunnyHugger
                                                                                                  Participant

LLH, Borys is a completely different bunny than the terrified, starving creature I scooped off the road 9 weeks ago today. Yesterday, after one more attempt at storming the barricades, he flopped at my feet. I petted him a little, but stopped because I got a cramp leaning over from my office chair. He stood up on his hind legs and nudged me to continue. That was the first time.

He is actually checking on my whereabouts every few minutes as he roams the house. Today, he chose to do a full length, “dead bunny” flop inside his cage, even though both doors were open to my home. His cage has become a place of safety instead of a prison.

I feel so bad for bunnies kept outdoors. You really don’t get nearly the full effect of their incredible personalities until they feel safe, and have adequate indoor roaming and relaxing areas.

The nuts, however, do have to go. I think I’ve done enough research, and have decided on the best vet for him.

• Henry0205
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                    34 posts Send Private Message

I named my bun Henry. At first I wanted something ghetto so I named him D’wayne (pronounced Duh Wayne) but that didn’t fit him. I then decided I wanted a fancy sounding name so after Googling fancy boy names I went with Henry. I also call him sweetheart, because he can be the sweetest out of my buns. My brothers named my girl bunnies because they originally belonged to them.

• Deleted User
                                                                                                      Participant

Ooooh! Henry is a fancy boys name??? Bonus! Thank you Henry0205!  He he he he he……
                                                                                                        My Henry doesn’t have a middle name, but he has a surname – Why???
                                                                                                        And the surname includes the ‘???’ – his surname is Why??? Mr Henry Why???  Or as we know it, Henry…. WHY???

LOL!

• beebun
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                        174 posts Send Private Message

I named mine Chito after a character in a novel me and my partner is writing The character is a bit shy and adorable and when I saw her face I went ‘oh yes this is the one’. The character is a boy, but when we found out the bun is a she, the name sticks

Then she starts binkying and making 500 zoom zoom and we start calling her Chitato, or Tato, or baby bunny :”D

• Philomena
                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                          74 posts Send Private Message

Philomena needed a very unique but Lady-like name. I really couldn’t think of anything until I remembered my favorite cartoon My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. One character has a pet phoenix named Philomena. So that’s what stuck and it fits her perfectly

Viewing 50 reply threads
                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE How Did You Name Your Bunny?