Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Help! Buster just ate a little bit of Mouse and Rat poison!

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cajunboi
      Participant
      42 posts Send Private Message

We had a bit of a problem with mice a while back and I put out some poison called “Just One Bite”… I thought I had picked it all up but my wife found Buster nibbling a little of it tonight… I don’t think he bit much maybe just a little…

What do I need to do? I don’t have the money for the vet right at this moment… He seems fine, but I am watching him…

Your help is appreciated!

Thanks!

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Well their is an ASPCA poison control center you can call at 888/426-4435 but they charge a $60 consultation fee so seeing your vet would be better.

You might also call the Texas Poison Control Center at 1/800-222-1222 and see what they say.

Also call and see if you can talk to your regular vet as well.

If you can it would be good to try to save some money up for emergencies in the future as well.

• Cajunboi
          Participant

Well Sarita, at any other time I would have had the money to take him to the vet… This last few days I had to poke out ALOT of money on a car repair that was supposed to be minor but turned out to be MAJOR! Also, my wife and I are in an economic mess as she is not working her corporate Job anymore and we have taken a HUGE paycut… Things are tough right now and I hate that my little bunny buddy may have to suffer for it…

Thanks for the info… I did google this question and found alot of answers…

• RabbitPam
            11002 posts Send Private Message

You can always start calling vets to ask over the phone what to do immediately in case of an emergency like this is.
              Even a dog/cat vet that’s open during the night will be able to give you first aide advice at the moment.

• KatnipCrzy
              Participant
              2981 posts Send Private Message

CajonBoi-

If you even suspect that your bunny has eaten rat poison- it needs to see a vet.  Rat and Mouse poisons do not work immediately-  they attack the mouse/rat/rabbits internally causing them to bleed to death internally and this can take from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.  The animal loses the ability to clot their blood- so any external wound will not clot either.

You are not going to find any other advice here other than to take your rabbit to the vet to seek the medical attention it needs- the longer you wait the more critical your rabbit can be.  Early treatment can be the difference between life and death.  Borrow money from a family member, apply for a credit card or Care Credit, ask your vet about payment plans- whatever it takes if you want to keep your rabbit.  If you can no longer afford your rabbit and the immediate care that it needs you can always see if there is a local shelter that is willing to assume responsibility for your pet.

I would strongly suggest thoroughly researching all poisons, pesticides and chemicals that you consider using in your household- many are toxic and a high risk for pets.  If a cat or dog were to eat one of the mice that you poisoned- they will also be ingesting the poison via the mouse and can also bleed to death internally.  It is generally considered to be a slow, painful death.

• jerseygirl
                22342 posts Send Private Message

I don’t know if this helps but this list some signs & symptoms to look for under heading Poisoning. http://www.petco.com/Content/Article.aspx

Hope he hasn’t eaten any and that you can get him seen.  ((((((Buster))))))

• charliesmom
                  Participant
                  52 posts Send Private Message

definitely take him to a vet. if he ate enough it is very serious.

• KatnipCrzy
                    Participant

If you catch rat and mouse poison ingestion early enough it can usually be treated without hospitalization, IV fluids, blood transfusion, etc.  Vitamin K is a prescription and comes orally and injectable and is not cheap- but it is probably 10 times cheaper than having to due the full blown treatment with guarded results.  Full treatment when the pet is ill will probably run a couple thousand- treating the pet before it is ill maybe a couple hundred depending on the testing, duration of meds, etc.

But if you wait until the pet is ill and their blood can no longer clot- just using Vitamin K will not be enough.  And for a rabbit I would assume one of the uber expensive processed blood products would have to be used for the transfusion- as I cannot imagine that they have rabbit blood or donors available as you typically cannot take a lot of blood from them anyway.

• Cajunboi
                      Participant

Thanks Jersey Girl… That is a great help and tool!

KatnipCrzy: I posted here for some immediate help at that moment but for some reason I knew someone would come along and slam me! I would have never let my bunnies out if I had known there was any poison still out… It was in a far back room that the Bunnies are NOT allowed in ever! The door was left with a slight crack in it and he managed to get back there very quickly… My wife found him in that room next to the poison… We don’t know if he ate it, just assuming… Everything you said, we know! My wife and I read everything about Bunnies and Poisons till we went to sleep last night… Actually I stayed up all night reading and watching… Before I take any pet into my home it is researched over and over again so that we know all the ins and outs of that particular animal… I do not use any chemicals in my household that are toxic to animals… I have had pets since I was a little boy and having NO chemicals around Pets is common knowledge in my house… Actually I use organic cleaners JUST for that purpose…

You spoke to me as if I were a mere novice, an uncaring pet owner… You obviously do not know me… I have enjoyed reading and using this forum but in the future I will keep my comments to myself and take my questions else where… Sorry if I offended anyone as that was not my intention…

• bunnycutie
                        Participant
                        549 posts Send Private Message

{{{{{buster}}}}}}}

• BB Administrator
                          Keymaster
                          392 posts Send Private Message

Cajenboi -You said —- “my wife found Buster nibbling a little of it tonight…” And you said it was called “Just one bite”. Both those facts warrant a trip the to emergency VET only. Katnip’s advice about what could be happening even if your bunny may “seem” fine” is invaluable. You said you didn’t have the money to pay for the a vet, yet waiting could create suffering for your bunny and prevent survival. Katnip provided good suggestions regarding how to deal with the financial aspect.

I know you are under stress,  but no one  was rude or demeaning.  The information that was given is something that many of us can learn from.  (I don’t know much about poisons myself), but at the same time we are not vets and when something like this happens, which is an emergency, you must see a vet, period 

Helloworld!!

• RabbitPam

Cajunboi,
                              I know that none of us here, including Katnip who is sincerely concerned-as are the rest of us, intends for you to feel slammed. If you reread your initial post, there is no way for us to know anything about what you just stated. All we really know is that you had poison in the house that your bunny got into, considered taking him to a vet and did not, due to finances. The situation suggests that a caution about pesticides and chemicals and their delayed effect was informative, plus serious consideration of your bunnies needs, both today in this situation and for the future, would be a good idea, however heartbreaking. Many are in financial difficulty right now and it is effecting their ability to care for their pets. It’s hard if you love them, but knowing the potential suffering some poisons can cause is worth examining your situation for the bunny’s sake. None of us mean to offend you. But most of us want to help you do what’s best for the bunny. Sometimes time is of the essence and several of us believe that is the case for you here.

• bunnycutie
                              Participant

we can’t give you anyother advice, and no one slammed you. we are just all concerned! please take buster to the vet!

• KatnipCrzy
                                Participant

In the case of a dog or cat eating rat/mouse poison the owner or the vet would generally induce vomiting immediately to get rid of the poison- but since rabbits cannot vomit the only way to rid the stomach of the poison would be sedation and to maybe pump/flush the stomach if that is even possible.  Dogs are often then given activated charcoal to help absorb any toxins- dogs are hard enough to pass a stomach tube when they are awake- so I think the rabbit would need sedation for that also otherwise the risk of aspiration the acitvated charcoal would be high which could result in aspiration pneumonia.  Pets need a huge amount for their weight.  But this type of initial treatment is only worth it if the poison was ingested within 45 minutes or less.

I have never seen a cat treated for mouse/rat poisoning- but generally cats do not care for sweets like dogs and mice/rats do.  The poison is usually sweet flavored to entice the rats/mice to eat it.

• Lintini
                                  Participant
                                  3329 posts Send Private Message

How is Buster doing today? My boyfriend lost a puppy this way before and it is extremely serious. Everyone here has said the same things I would, I just hope he is alright and didn’t eat any. Best wishes to you.

• Cajunboi
                                    Participant

Thanks Lintini! Buster is Fine… He is playing, eating and running around… Thanks for asking!

• Binkles
                                      Participant
                                      823 posts Send Private Message

That’s good to hear, but I would still get him to the vet ASAP though. Poison is not something to take lightly, even if it was just a little bit and even if the bun my seem fine. From what I understand it takes rat poison a few days to start showing signs of damage, and we all know how good bunnies are at hiding discomfort. You never know.

• jerseygirl

Good to hear Buster is ok – hope he continues to be. Tone of advice can be misread and true we don’t know you personally and your level of care. It’s unfortunate you felt offended. I do agree with Binky Bunny though – the advice can be there as a resource for anyone in the future who may deal with poisoning.  It serves as a good reminder to everyone actually. There are so many risks in the home. Common things found in households such as baby oil and perfumes can prove deadly to children and animals.

I do hope when the fear for Buster has past that you do feel you can again approach this community for advice or generally sharing about your rabbits.

• Beka27
                                          Participant
                                          16016 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry you’ve had to go thru this with Buster. That is very scary. I am glad that he is doing okay now and I hope he continues to do alright. Like Katnip said, the effects of the poison can take time to become evident. I don’t know much about this topic, but please keep us posted.

• Deleted User
                                            Participant
                                            22064 posts Send Private Message

Consumption of anticoagulant rodenticide is one of the scariest things that can happen to a pet. You will want to keep watching him very closely in case he has the poison in him. It might take a few days to become apparent if he has ingested any. The body is continually repairing and healing itself, it does this on the inside so Buster doesn’t need to have an actual injury to bleed; these poisons cause internal bleeding and you might see hemorrhage spots on his skin if he has light-colored skin. If you can’t take him to the vet to get treatment and you see these signs, you might just end up having to take him in to spare him suffering in the end. I am very sorry this happened to Buster. Please keep us posted. For real. I hope very much that Buster will come up in the clear, not having poison in him. He is beautiful, looks a lot like Roger!
                                              Roger.

• MooBunnay
                                              Participant
                                              3087 posts Send Private Message

I’m glad to hear he is still doing OK – I hope that he continues to do well, I would keep a close eye on his eating and pooping habits because that is one of the first things to be disturbed if your bunny isn’t feeling well.

My husband and I have several rabbits and something we do to try to make sure that we will always have money available for an emergency is put aside a certain amount into an ING savings account that we just labeled “Bunny Emergency Fund.” We also have Pet Insurance for our oldest rabbit since we think it is more likely that she would need to go to the vet than any of the others. In addition, our new policy on adopting a rabbit is that we don’t do it until we have a certain amount of money set aside in the Bunny Emergency fund for that rabbit. Consider doing even $10 or $20 per month – if you have an account that does automatic withdrawal each month it makes it much easier.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                Participant
                                                12067 posts Send Private Message

No one was slamming you because of what happened-accidents can and do happen. We all understand that. What people are trying to get across is their isn’t some cure we can provide over the internet. Vet care is imperative-no questions.

Vet care is costly and we can’t always be in a situation where we have thousands at our disposal. But your rabbit relies on you to keep him safe and healthy-you need to take him to a vet and work out a payment plan if you can’t pay upfront. Not having funds does not mean it’s ok to not go when it’s needed-and in the case of poisoning-it is.

Please let us know how hes doing!!

• RICOH
                                                  Participant
                                                  19 posts Send Private Message

I know i’m posting a little late but here in the uk we have a free vet called blue cross i’m sure its for people on low or no income (im not sure as I dont use it just heard about it) is there no places like that near to you?
                                                    or could you not make a deal with vet to pay later?
                                                    in this days climate money is tight and every penny counts but weather it be for animal or human emergency treatment needs to be done I fully understand that if you havent got any money you carnt pay the bill. so at that point i’ld be looking for some other method to get the much needed treatment.
                                                    I also agree that coming and asking a question doesnt justify getting slammed, accidents do happen and we learn by them,sometimes there more serious. lets hope alls well and ends well and you continue to share your experiance wether there good or bad with everyone on this forum,
                                                    and im also sure that other people have ,since reading your post remeberd or thought of some dangerous substance left in a corner thats now been removed due to your misshapp.

How is he now?

• Cajunboi
                                                    Participant

Update… It is now four days since August may have eaten the poison… He is playing, running, eating, drinking Normal… His poop and urine have not changed… He is still the lovable bunny he always was… I know it sometimes takes weeks for any effects to show… I am watching constantly!

• Monkeybun
                                                      Participant
                                                      10479 posts Send Private Message

*continued good vibes* Hope it keeps going well, let us know if anythign changes! *snuggles*

• bunnycutie
                                                        Participant

omg petzy! is that brindle colored blob in the background a dog? first i got scared, i thought it was a gigantic rabbit! i was like wow thats a really big bunny

• Deleted User
                                                          Participant

Posted By bunnycutie on 09/15/2009 04:01 AM
                                                            omg petzy! is that brindle colored blob in the background a dog? first i got scared, i thought it was a gigantic rabbit! i was like wow thats a really big bunny

Yes, I have a giant brindle rabbit!

• bunnycutie
                                                            Participant

oh thats a big rabbit! haha lol!

• jerseygirl

Thanks for the update on Buster! Is he grounded?

(Petzy – awesome picture. Bugs is the sweetest, so is your dog by the looks. They are really good with the bunnies.)

• RabbitPam

I’m so glad he’s doing better.

While it still bears watching, it does sound like he’s out of the woods.
                                                                  Thanks for posting a picture.

• Cajunboi
                                                                  Participant

UPDATE: It’s day six and nothing has changed… He is still as active as ever and eating and drinking normally… And yes, He is GROUNDED! LOL! Not really! HA!

• bunnyluvr
                                                                    Participant
                                                                    409 posts Send Private Message

Whew! That was a close one! Must have been so frightening for you guys. So glad it seems as tho he is okay!

• luvmybunny
                                                                      Participant
                                                                      576 posts Send Private Message

Glad he is doing fine, that is good news! Keep us posted

Wow! Petzy that is a great picture! Beautiful dog and bunny….how sweet!

• RabbitPam
                                                                        Moderator

OOps, sorry. Those are Petzy’s pix. Petzy, your bunnies are adorable.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                                          Participant
                                                                          4293 posts Send Private Message

I just wanted to pop in and say that I am glad to hear that Buster is O.K. and I recommend that everyone keep an poison control number nearby like this one provided by the ASPCA that I keep posted on the fridge along with the vets phone #: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poiso…soned.html

This is the main web page:

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/

Since rabbits are rather unique and do not respond the same as a cat or dog I use the ASPCA web site as a guideline and rely on a rabbit-savvy vet for the final word.

• Deleted User
                                                                            Participant

When my dog ate warfarin at a relative’s house, even though she was at the vets’ within 20 min. of ingestion and made to throw up seven times, she began hemorrhaging on day 15. She had been on vitamin K the entire time but still she bled. I should add that this dog survived. She died of another illness 5 years later.

–Keep an eye on Buster. Check his gums for bleeding, too.

Rabbitpam, , that’s Bugs from KK’s rescue that my friend adopted. Tactless, I shouldn’t have posted pics in this thread, this is about Buster.

• MooBunnay
                                                                              Participant
                                                                              3087 posts Send Private Message

I’m so glad to hear that Buster is OK. I would imagine that if he is fine maybe he didn’t end up eating any of the poison? Either way, its great news that he is OK.

Petzy – thats the cutest picture!! I had to show it to my husband because I really want a dog so I’m trying to prove to him that if we select very carefully we could find a dog to get along with the bunnies

• bunnytowne
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                7537 posts Send Private Message

How scary.   I  hope he will be ok.   A minor repair for the car turned into a major one.   Yeah the tend to do that sometimes.  

OH Buster please be ok.

• Cajunboi
                                                                                  Participant

UPDATE: It’s day 12 and he is still OK! Nothing has changed… I have been checking poo and pee several times a day and I have also checked his gums for bleeding… I am SO ready for this to be over! I guess maybe after a month I’ll be able to rest easy… I just don’t want anything to happen to that little guy… He is so cute and cuddly and just a ball of FUN! We love him so much! We can’t even think of him being gone…

I checked the block of poison very carefully and there were teeth marks on it… It was like he just scraped the top of it and really didn’t get a good bite… My wife caught him right as he was doing it… UGH!

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers!

• Deleted User
                                                                                    Participant

You must have a knot in your stomach until this time of waiting is up!
                                                                                      I am not a vet obviously but I would imagine these poisons are made to act fast in the body of a little animal (mouse, rat, bunny) so every day that goes by without him showing signs is a step closer to calling it a close one and Buster negative for poisoning!
                                                                                      can I ask, what did you do with the block of poison?

edit: did you call the poison line? They could already give you a green light for Buster according to the # of days it’s been. I think the just-one-bite is much faster than what my dog ate and rats die within 4 to 7 days of eating it.

• KatnipCrzy
                                                                                      Participant

Just keep checking his gums and ears to make sure that they do not look pale. 

Also if you have not had him neutered yet- you will want to make sure you mention this incident to the vet before any type of surgery even if it is months from now- better safe than sorry.  And Buster will need to be able to clot his blood normally before any procedure.  And just to be on the safe side I would refrain from any nail trims until the more critical waiting period is past.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                        12067 posts Send Private Message

Also if you have not had him neutered yet- you will want to make sure you mention this incident to the vet before any type of surgery even if it is months from now- better safe than sorry. And Buster will need to be able to clot his blood normally before any procedure. And just to be on the safe side I would refrain from any nail trims until the more critical waiting period is past.

GREAT point katnip!!

• Cajunboi
                                                                                          Participant

UPDATE: It’s day 19 and he is still FINE! I am still a nervous wreck… Sometimes I think I’m seeing things and then it turns out it’s nothing… Oh I am ready for this to be over… I haven’t let him out to play for two weeks now just to be on the safe side…

KatNip: He has been Neutered for some time now and nail trimmings are put on hold for now…

Thanks Guys!

Donnie

• BinkyBunny
                                                                                            Moderator
                                                                                            8776 posts Send Private Message

Wow…I wouldn’t have even thought about the dangers of nail trims and surgery stuff in regards to this. I have learned so much from this thread.

I am soooo relieved that everything turned out okay so far. (Big Whew)n So when is the waiting period officially over?

• bunnytowne
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                              7537 posts Send Private Message

Wow yes the nail trims skip that.   I never would have known either.  Poison yuck.  So far so good for Buster.  This is a very stressful time for you I know.

• Deleted User
                                                                                                Participant

I’m very glad for Buster and you Cajunboi. You must now be able to look at Buster again without a terrible fear inside.

• Cajunboi
                                                                                                  Participant

I am still very concerned… I am watching him intently! I am not sure when this will be over… I am giving it a month and then maybe I will feel better… Poor baby wants to run and play but I am afraid He will rip out a nail or hurt himself on something while he is out… I am keeping him in his condo till this is over! I am also afraid August might bite him or something…

Just several more days left!!!

• VanIsCuuuuute
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                    1 posts Send Private Message

My bunny just ate rat and mouse poisoning. I don’t know how much but it couldn’t be a lot more than 3 bites bc she was out of my sight for just a few seconds. She might of ate it before when I let her roam!!! I am freaking out bc she is scared of me. She just ran away and is under my deck and I can’t get her out. She has just ran away from me and she has never before. There was general FEAR in her eyes and I am really worried. Her ears were not that warm and she was acting a little strange ever since I came back from my dads farm. I don’t know what to do pls help!

• Q8bunny
                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                      6345 posts Send Private Message

This thread is very old, but I will just say the same thing all the older posts said: you must take your bun to the vet NOW! If you can also bring the packaging from the poison the bun ingested it might help the vet decide on a course of action. Please. Vet immediately.

• Azerane
                                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                                        4688 posts Send Private Message

Q8 is right, if you found your bunny eating rat and mouse poison, please see a vet as a matter of emergency. Make sure to take the packet or know the brand name of the poison too as that will help the vet. The earlier it is treated, the better chance of survival your bunny will have.

Generally we ask that users don’t respond to old thread as it causes confusion. If you would like to start a new thread for this issue about your bunny then please follow this link as I will be locking this thread: https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/afv/post/aff/2/Default.aspx

Viewing 49 reply threads
                                                                                                      • The topic ‘Help! Buster just ate a little bit of Mouse and Rat poison!’ is closed to new replies.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Help! Buster just ate a little bit of Mouse and Rat poison!