Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS bunnies in my room

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cocoa
      Participant
      728 posts Send Private Message

My dad has hated my bunnies since the day I brought them home and Lily bit him, my mom used to hate them because they were mean but now she is always giving them treats. She loves them, at this point they are actually paying vet bills because the rabbits still have medical issues from my parents decisions. After a year of arguing with my parents, the bunnies moved inside and live in a hutch and x pen in my hallway. My dad moved the pen so its way too small. I moved the pen so its big enough for them but doesnt block the hallway, he got really mad at me (huge fight last night over it) and wants me to move it back. If I cant fix their living situation soon I will have to find a new home for them. We are having the floors in our house replaced with a tile that looks like wood (my dad’s dog destroyed the original floor) and I want to get rid of the carpet in my room and replace it with wood tile like the rest of the house. I was able to draw out my room and find a way to fit the rabbits. I just have a few issues with my solution. My parents are obsessed with the house looking clean so my options are limited on how to prevent them from chewing on baseboards or jumping on my bed. We are completely redecorating my room soon so that would be the perfect time. I do intend on keeping the hutch and I found a space in my room for it so when the cleaning lady is here or when we have guests over I have somewhere to put them so they are out of the way. I need help solving three problems, how do I keep them from chewing on the baseboards, how do I keep them from jumping on my bed and papasan chair, and how can I protect cords. All of this has to look super neat and not tacky/cheap. I also need a way to hide a large litterbox so its out of sight but the bunnies can get to it. I only have 3 hours to plan this out before my dad gets home and I have to talk to him.

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

Man, you have been through so much with your girls! Just want to say first that I think you’ve done an outstanding job with them.

For cords, I have used both “spiral cable wrap” as well as “split loom” cable organizer. They have these at hardware stores and online. I wrap the parts of the cable that will be exposed (you can even do a double layer if you’re worried), and wrap with electrical tape. I bundle up any excess cable and either tape it or cable tie it to an area where the bunnies cannot reach. I think this actually makes things look nicer, because you don’t have excess cable all over the place. If there is an area with tons of cables, you can also use NIC cube grids to block access to that area (like under a desk).

For the baseboards, there were some great suggestions in this thread (https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/aft/146549/Default.aspx). One was to tack on pieces of timber that you don’t mind getting chewed (but this might not fit your parent’s criteria for looking nice). If your scroll down, I think using vinyl siding pieces would probably look the nicest and be the easiest! I’ve also heard of using clear acrylic sheeting over baseboards. It isn’t very noticeable and you can make it go higher up the wall for extra protection.

I’ve seen some people hide litter boxes inside a cabinet with a side removed. I wonder if you have some furniture already that you could hide it under?

Now, in terms of the bed and chair… easiest is prob to use your x-pen to block access to it, or is the idea to have no pen and just free-roam inside your room? I have my bed on risers, and with the box spring and that extra height, it’s too tall for them to jump on. So maybe that would work as well, at least for the bed?

It’s tricky, because the nicer looking solutions are usually more costly!

If unsupervised free-roam in the room isn’t an option, a NIC condo might be a good compromise. You can structure it to fit the space, and build up instead of out. That way they have more space even when they aren’t supervised.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Cocoa
          Participant

I really just don’t want to have an x pen taking over my room and I would love to just do free range. I think those electrical solutions would work good. I will check out the link in a little bit since I have to leave right now. At the moment my budget is $400 but I am selling a lot of my old stuff soon so it should be more later on. My mom is also concerned about them chewing on my sliding doors but I think what you suggested for the baseboards may be a solution for that, im not sure because I haven’t looked it up yet. Thank you for your tips

• DanaNM

Gotcha, yeah I understand!

I think putting the bed on risers might be the most economical, and would look nice! I think the baseboard solutions would be within your budget as well.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Cocoa
              Participant

I just googled a bed on risers, that’s actually what I was planning on doing I just didn’t know that’s what its called. Im still not sure that would be high enough. How could I protect the legs of the risers then?

• Cocoa
                Participant

I just checked out that link, I really like some of those ideas. I have a notebook of ideas for everything at this point. So the problems of baseboards and doors and cords are solved. All that’s left is the bed. Ive seen them jump pretty high and I think they would pull the blankets down

• Sirius&Luna
                  Participant
                  2319 posts Send Private Message

If you look up #ikeabunnyhol on instagram, you’ll see loads of people that have turned an IKEA box into a lovely neat litter tray solution. You can put some blankets and cushions on top so it looks like a little couch.

• Cocoa
                    Participant

That’s cute! I was thinking about getting a small table on craigslist and putting plywood on the sides then cutting a hole in the front so they ca get in. That would be hidden but also cheaper and I could pick it up to remove the litterbox and clean it. Can you put a link to that ikea box? I may not end up putting the chair in my room, I think I will be putting my desk instead. Since I do a lot of crafts at my desk, I would have to use a pen to block that corner off but I would prefer not to block off my bed. I have two dogs who would probably try to jump over is to get to my bed and end up injuring themselves.

• Sirius&Luna
                      Participant

It’s just one of these – you might need some help cutting a couple of little holes in it for the buns to get through though.

I have one, but I haven’t got as far as making the holes yet, but I don’t think it will be complicated.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/tables/coffee-side-tables/hol-storage-table-acacia-art-50161321/

• Cocoa
                        Participant

It actually looks like I cant get it in the US unfortunately

• Bunny House
                          Participant
                          1241 posts Send Private Message

You can get it, you just have to have the us ikea site and not over seas site
                            https://m.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/art/70353022/

• DanaNM

I love that ikea box idea, it’s just so expensive!

• Kiki
                              Participant
                              205 posts Send Private Message

Just out of curiosity what is the reason for not wanting the buns on the bed and chair ? Indie gets on mine all the time and we haven’t had any territorial peeing since then. She just gets up , peruses and gets back down.

• Cocoa
                                Participant

Cocoa is just kind of… If I’m sitting on like a bean bag next to them, they will leave me alone. If I walk away from it, Cocoa will pee on it and pretty much just attack it. As soon as I come back she runs away so I think she knows she isn’t allowed to do that. My dog also doesnt really like them so he tries to avoid them but he sleeps in my room at night. When he’s in my room he stays on my bed so as long as they aren’t on my bed or chair he can avoid them. Thank you for putting the link for the box in the US

• Cocoa
                                  Participant

I just checked out the link, that is a bit too expensive for me since I have to bunny proof some other stuff. I think I should be able to find a cheap table on craigslist, add sides, and stain it to use instead

• Cocoa
                                    Participant

I just checked out the link, that is a bit too expensive for me since I have to bunny proof some other stuff. I think I should be able to find a cheap table on craigslist, add sides, and stain it to use instead

• Sirius&Luna
                                      Participant

It’s weird that it’s so much more expensive on the US site. in the UK it costs £45 which is about $60… very strange. You could definitely make something similar cheaper, or keep an eye out for similar cabinets or boxes on Craigslist.

• Bunny House
                                        Participant

Yeah, I was surprised at the cost too, maybe because it’s not popular in the us yet so they have to ship it over seas. I know that you could also get a side table or a small dresser and take out the drawers and make it like a little bunny house for the litter box. Search bunny house, bunny litter box or something bunny related on Pinterest and you will get such good ideas for bunny litterbox concealers and bunny “houses”

• Cocoa
                                          Participant

Yeah, The hutch will be in front of it so it will be mostly hidden but just in case its an issue with my parents I have to have a backup plan. I think my dad would like the old side table idea

• Cocoa
                                            Participant

So we may not be getting the floors replaced which means my room will remain carpet. I need some ideas to cover the carpet where I can still easily clean any accidents or mess

• DanaNM

What about those plastic carpet protectors that are meant to be used under an office chair? You prob wouldn’t be able to cover the whole floor, but could cover a lot of it. I also use ceramic tiles to block areas from chewing.

• Cocoa
                                                Participant

Its not chewing carpet that’s an issue, my parents think they will pee everywhere so I have to cover my entire floor. Would it work for me to take multiple of those carpet protectors ductaped together to cover the floor?

• Harley&Thumper
                                                  Participant
                                                  444 posts Send Private Message

Could you get a large fleece blanket to cover the carpet?

• Cocoa
                                                    Participant

I asked my mom about this option but unfortunately she said no because if they peed out of their litterbox it would soak through the fleece and into the carpet

• sarahthegemini
                                                      Participant
                                                      5584 posts Send Private Message

You could get a few rugs and then put puppy pads under the rugs so if any pee soaks through the rug, it won’t get to the carpet.

• Cocoa
                                                        Participant

what if Cocoa ate the rugs? she is really destructive

• Bunny House
                                                          Participant

I second the plastic carpet protectors for office chairs, they are too heavy for a bun to lift up and you can use duct tape to connect them and you can get them clear so they kind of “blend” in to the floor

• DanaNM

What about those beach blankets that have a nylon, water proof side on one side, and fleece on the other?

• Wick & Fable
                                                              5770 posts Send Private Message

I don’t know about it’s durability with a destructive rabbit (Wick does dig at his a lot in one spot and it seems okay), but I use large diaper mats, which have a TPU layer, so they’re waterproof. They’ll absorb, but not leak through, and you can wash them in your washer/dryer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773G97P3/

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Cocoa
                                                                Participant

I think Cocoa would find a way to destroy those diaper mats. I think the office floor covers would be the best option for my house

• Sirius&Luna
                                                                  Participant

When I had carpet in the bunny room, I bought some cheap wooden flooring that slotted together and put it on top of the carpet until I could get the floor laid properly. It worked quite well for a small area, and you could put some rugs etc down for their feet.

• Muj Mom N Bun
                                                                    Participant
                                                                    352 posts Send Private Message

As far as protecting baseboards, here are a few cute ideas that are diy and always able to be customizable and restyled as to your liking. I have always used cardboard places flush up against my baseboards, I don’t have to answer to anyone else’s demands on decor but I’m sure that your parents don’t want 16” high pieces of project board or box board laying bare against the walls… so what you could do is cover the project/card board with decorative paper that matches the rest of the room. And if you do it all the way around the room or across that entire wall it can actually look like decorative baseboard or wall trim. As for cords and power strips… you can put them in decorative storage boxes and cut a hole out in the bottom for plug access when needed. You can also put them into heavy fabric/braided baskets… I like these more than actual wicker baskets because bunnies will want to instantly eat the wicker and we may not know how wicker may have been dyed or treated, thus making it possibly not bunny safe. For the rug protection… I’ve bought medium to large size outdoor mats that have solid heavy rubber backing and I’ve put those down under where my BunBun’s den is and the area next to it because she simply loves that spot so much she marked it all as her own… these heavy duty mats have no pile so there’s nothing for her to pull on and they are accident proof! She really likes them. Since I also wanted to create a little prettier affect… I put down a small kitchen sink mat over it (it too has a rubber back) it’s pretty and so cheap it’s easy to replace when need be. I will send pictures of the mats … I just have plain cardboard against my base boards and these days she has given up on chewing on the walls (unless she is trying to get my attention)… I have my power strip in a small wastebasket, for now… too cheap to buy something cuter at the moment…

• Muj Mom N Bun
                                                                      Participant
                                                                      352 posts Send Private Message

Wish I could help when it comes to the bed… I am still debating back and forth on giving my girl access to my bedroom. I want to because I want to snuggle with my bunny but I already know she eats her way thru my furniture and whatever I cover it with to stop her from acting like she was raised by beavers! And I don’t even know where to begin with the under the bed situation….

• Cocoa
                                                                        Participant

Thanks for those ideas, theyre really cool!

• DanaNM
                                                                          Moderator

great ideas Muj Mom!

• michaela
                                                                            Participant
                                                                            47 posts Send Private Message

Hey! I know I’m very late and all this has already happened but I’m just curious how all this turned out. You’ll have to update us, and honestly, the IKEA Hol is very expensive! Even the smaller version is $100. https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/hol-side-table-acacia-90353021/ Hope all is well now that it’s been a year!

• LBJ10
                                                                              Moderator
                                                                              16869 posts Send Private Message

Hi Michaela, I’m sorry I didn’t see this post sooner. It was way at the bottom of the list because this is an old thread. Just so you know, we discourage reviving old threads because it causes confusion. This thread is a year old. Most members have not returned since the forum reopened, so I doubt Cocoa will see this anytime soon.

• michaela
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                47 posts Send Private Message

Okay good to know! So sorry I’m still new to the forum.😂

Viewing 37 reply threads
                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS bunnies in my room