Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Big bunny problem

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
    • Catalin
      Participant
      41 posts Send Private Message

Hi, everybody. I’m sorry if this is not the right category,but l didn’t know where else l could write.
        It’s pretty hard for me to talk about this and I am kinda ashamed, but l decided have to tell you.

I got two female rabbits that l used to keep in my family’s apartament. Last year, my mother said we should keep them at my grandparents’ during the summer and bring them indoors in our home during fall, winter and a part of spring. I agreed and everything went perfect for a while, but when autumn came she said we can’t take them in the house because they smell and they don’t belong in a house and that she’d never said we would take them back, even tho l remember clear as a crystal what her words were.
        My grandparents started taking poor care of the bunnies and neglect them. No one takes my advice, no one takes care of them the way l explained.

I am honestly ashamed for listening to her idea. What do you think?

• Sirius&Luna
        Participant
        2319 posts Send Private Message

If your rabbits are being neglected, you need to either a. take control of them back yourself and prove to your mum that they don’t smell when you keep them clean and give them the happy life they deserve or b. surrender them to a no-kill shelter so someone else can save them from the neglect. It seems clear that your parents and grandparents don’t want to take responsibility, which is tough for you, but your options are very limited at this stage.

• Catalin
          Participant

I tried to explain her and bring examples, but nothing. She listens to what she heard from people who took poor care of their rabbits’ hygene.
            I tought about that, but there are no rabbit shelters around here and l don’t know any reliable people to take them in.

I’m afraid that if l don’t find a way to make her less stubborn and take them in it would be a dead end

• Sirius&Luna
            Participant
            2319 posts Send Private Message

Can you ask your mum for a trial week or month where you have them back? Perhaps you could set them up in your bedroom, and clean the litter trays everyday etc to show that you will be responsible and that they don’t smell.

• Catalin
              Participant

I will try asking, but l doubt she’ll accept. She is very stubborn and has very fixed beliefs

• Bunny House
                Participant
                1241 posts Send Private Message

You can show her YouTube videos of how well potty trained they can be and how you can always keep their housing inside clean. Buns don’t smell, only the hay and dirty litter does if it’s not kept clean.

• kurottabun
                  Participant
                  908 posts Send Private Message

If all else fails and you aren’t able to rehome them, then the last resort would be to house them outdoors. Although it’s not ideal, there are people who have outdoor bunnies that lived a long life, provided they get the appropriate care and love. It’s much more difficult to achieve that compared to housing an indoor bunny, but it could be the second best option you have.

Do update us on your progress!

• Bunny House
                    Participant

Have you reached out to your rabbit savvy vet to see if they know places you can rehome them to?

• Catalin
                      Participant

Just as l thought. She doesn’t want any trials and she doesn’t want to hear anything about them

• jerseygirl
                        22338 posts Send Private Message

Hi Catalin
                          Ive deleted the duplicate posts for you. Sometimes that happens.

Tricky situation for you. You have nothing to feel ashamed about. 

Have you spoken with your Grandparents about it? Were they under the impression they’d only be having the rabbits short term, not permanently? Are they having to take on the cost of their care?

Maybe if they are also wanting you to have them back, you can work together in getting your mother to agree.

• Catalin
                          Participant

I spoke to them. Seems they knew from the beginning that they won’t return inside and they agree with my mother. There is absolutely no way to convince any of them with concrete evidence

• Bunny House
                            Participant

Can you have your rabbit savvy vet talk to her about how dangerous it is for buns to live outside? And also how clean they are, they groom themselves more than cats so there really is no smell. It seems like they aren’t gonna get the adequate care they need so it might be better to see if anyone that has really good bun experience can take them in. Many parents wouldn’t want animals inside the house because 90%of the time the kids don’t take care of them and the parent doesn’t want it to fall on them and that’s probably why she says no. Even if you beg and beg, it doesn’t mean she’ll change her mind. Maybe you can find videos online about how bunnies need to live inside, how they don’t smell and how you personally are gonna financially take care of them as when a bun gets sick, it’s can be thousands to get them better so you need to prove to her you can financially support their vet care and their regular food care.

• Q8bunny
                              Participant
                              6345 posts Send Private Message

I’m guessing (from your name) that you’re from a certain beautiful country by the Black Sea?

If so, from personal experience, I know that unfortunately, rabbits are thought of as food more than as pets over there. No-kill bunny shelters and rabbit savvy vets are almost unheard of. So you’re caught between a rock and a hard place.

Did your buns go to your grandparents’ place “la curte”? If so, I’m gussing you’re not close enough to check on them daily?

Does your mom’s apartment have a balcony you could use to house the buns? It would technically be outside, allow you to care for them properly, and interact with them. Alternatively, does your apartment building have a roof where you could set up a safe bunny enclosure?

• Catalin
                                Participant

Yeah, a country beautiful only by its surroundings. We have a small balcony, too small yo house them and on the rooftop it’s clearly impossible

• Catalin
                                  Participant

Her only argument is that they stink. Believe me, l tried the rational approach, with arguments and examples, but she just doesn’t believe it. She knows she’d heard from others they smell bad and period. It’s very unlikely the she will listen to the vet

• Bunny House
                                    Participant

And a lot of times, parents don’t want to be wrong so of course she probably doesn’t want to be proven wrong and shown they really don’t smell, only their hay and I cleaned litter does.

It doesn’t hurt to try all avenues if you really want their well-being taken care of.
                                      I know you’re in a hard spot

• Catalin
                                      Participant

I tried everything possible. I suppose l could try the vet thing.
                                        If this fails, l really don’t know what to do

• Bunny House
                                        Participant

It wouldn’t hurt to try. Just try and keep your head up and don’t keep saying she will say no. Sometimes we set ourselves up for failure by having a negative attitude, I know it’s hard but good luck x

• Q8bunny
                                          Participant
                                          6345 posts Send Private Message

Dang! I hope the vet idea works to persuade her.

Another thought: even after they’ve been spayed/neutered, some buns can have more-pungent-than-average pee. And putting a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar in their water can really help with that. In case your mom walks by them at your grandparents’ place before their litter has been changed one day.

• Catalin
                                            Participant

No succes, sadly. She doesn’t want a trial period and won’t listen to the vet. Seems there are no other options left…

• Asriel and Bombur
                                              Participant
                                              1104 posts Send Private Message

If they aren’t really being cared for properly, and you’ve tried talking, the only solution seems to rehome them either to a shelter or a responsible person who will listen to you about bunny care. I don’t say this to sound mean, but sometimes you have to take a painful option.

• Catalin
                                                Participant

I know… The problem is idk anyone reliable enough and there is no shelter that would take in rabbits around here

• Catalin
                                                  Participant

I know… The problem is idk anyone reliable enough and there is no shelter that would take in rabbits around here

• Bunny House
                                                    Participant

Reach out to a vet and see if they know anyone who will take the buns in for a period of time or permanently

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Big bunny problem