From http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/toys.html :
Good toys to start with:
"Untreated wood, twigs and logs that have been aged for at least 3 months. Apple tree branches can be eaten fresh off the tree. Stay away from: cherry, peach, apricot, plum and redwood, which are all poisonous."
From http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/chewing.html :
Should I give the rabbit items to chew?
Yes. You can give rabbits pieces of the thing they want to chew: their own small towel, for example, providing they aren't ingesting it. This is especially useful when the attraction is the particular consistency.
Here are some items that are OK for rabbits to chew on:
- apple, willow, aspen branches;
- pine firewood;
- cotton towels
- untreated fresh pine lumber attached to cage so it doesn't move--piece of molding, 1"x2"s, or 2"x4"s;
- basket with hay in it--let the bun chew the basket as well as the hay;
- compressed alfalfa cubes
Aren't some woods toxic?
Fruit tree branches, such as, apricot and peach are toxic while attached to the tree but not after they're cut and dried (a month or more). Lisa McSherry and Rusty Fayter, who package The Busy Bunny baskets, share this research. Another tip they offer for your bunny's safety is to keep your purchases of imported baskets limited to willow, the only basket material not sprayed with pesticide.
I've attached three pics of toys that my bf has made for the buns. They are made out of pine 1x4 or 1x6s. We can't remember.